Registration of marriage concluded abroad


General information

Hungarian citizens should register their marriages concluded abroad. The application can be lodged at the register offices in Hungary, as a general rule. Application can also be lodged at the Consulate. In this case the procedure may take up to 3 months or even more.

How to apply?

The application may only be submitted in person with both parties (spouse) present.

Appointments shall be booked through our online booking system. Please select “Registration of marriage”.

What documents do I need to take with me?

1. Original marriage certificate (this is required in ALL cases)

If the marriage was concluded in a country other than the UK (and the marriage certificate was not issued by the British authorities), please contact our Consulate by email ( to find out whether you need to have your document legalised and/or translated.

There is no need for translation:
- if the birth certificate is issued in English, German or French language (except handwritten certificates and/or if it contains a comment),
- or the birth certificate has been issued by other countries in two or more languages if one of them is English, German or French.

2. Copy of birth certificate of the Hungarian party


3. Completed and signed application form.

Please fill in the application form in Hungarian with block capital letters in accordance with the rules of the Hungarian language. The application form can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.


4. Proof of marital status of the Hungarian national prior to the marriage

If you were divorced before getting married again: final court decision about the divorce (with Hungarian translation). If the marriage was dissolved within the EU (including the UK) between 1 May 2004 and 31 December 2020, please submit the certificate issued by the court in accordance with Brussels II regulation (Certificate referred to in Article 39 of Council Regulation 8EC) No. 2201/2003 of 27 November 2003 concerning judgments in matrimonial matters – form D180). This certificate does not need to be translated in Hungarian.

If you were widow(er) before getting married again: death certificate of the deceased spouse.


5. Proof of Hungarian nationality

Valid passport, valid identity card, or certificate of nationality that has been issued within the past 3 years.


6. Proof of nationality in respect of the non-Hungarian party

Valid passport.


7. Certificate of marital status of the non-Hungarian party prior to the marriage

The non-Hungarian party has to present an official certificate on his/her previous family status (prior to the marriage). This document should be translated to Hungarian by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation Ltd ( or the translation can be legalised by the competent Hungarian Consulate. (ie. Hungarian Consulate accredited to the country of origin of the non-Hungarian party). Apostille or diplomatic legalisation from the country of origin might also be necessary.

EU citizens are not required to present such a certificate.


8. Request for registration in the Registry of Personal Data and Address

The Hungarian national has to fill in the relevant form in the following cases (the form can be downloaded at the bottom of this page):

• if the Hungarian national does not have a valid Hungarian ID card AND

• he/she does not have a Hungarian address card with the remark “Külföldön élő magyar állampolgár” AND

  - he/she has never lived in Hungary.

How much does it cost?

The registration of marriage is free of charge. However, there might be an extra consular authentication fee in addition for any translations (please see previous point). Please check this web page for the latest fees.

Please note that we are a cashless office, card payment only!


Forms to be downloaded:

Application form for registration of marriage

Please see the English translation of the application form here. (Guide only!

Form for registration as a Hungarian citizen living in Hungary

Form for registration as a Hungarian citizen living abroad