Who can apply?

Proof of marital status can be applied for by any Hungarian citizen. There are two types of certificates:

  • An “official certificate” is the official certificate of marital status issued by the Hungarian authorities. It is issued only in Hungarian.
  • A “consular certificate” is an official extract from the personal data and address register, containing the applicant's personal data and marital status. The certificate is bilingual (Hungarian and English).

We recommend that you inquire in advance at the office of the intended use (place of marriage) what form of certificate you need. This will help you choose when submitting the application.

How to apply

The application must be submitted in person. Appointments shall be booked through the online booking system. For appointment, please select “Certificate of family status”.

What documents do I need to take with me?

  • Valid proof of ID (passport, ID card, driving license).
  • Application form duly filled in, but not yet signed. Please fill in the form with a blue ink pen, in block capitals.

How much does it cost?

Please check this web page for the latest fees.

Please note that we are a cashless office, card payment only!

Documents to be downloaded

(please fill in the form with a blue ink pen, in block capitals)

Application for proof of marital status